Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Catered Affair involving African Women.....


Roe Green.... I have a new respect for that name, and the person. This past weekend, the seniors had to sing our showcase for Roe Green at the Porthouse Theatre Preview Party..... But, not one of us is performing there this summer... so its kindof contradictory. Well anyway, Roe lives in a gated golf course community. The houses were GORGEOUS!! They looked exactly how you would picture a house in a gated community would look. The only downfall is they are all the same. Yeah, your neighbor might have a bigger house than you, but I'm sure the layout inside is similar. I was thinking that Roe would live in a huge house, but its really not as big as I thought. In the end, the size didnt matter. The content of her house was breathtaking. I walked in to various african art that she has had sent to her from different countries in Africa. She's been there six times, and she made it very clear to me that there was nothing more beautiful to her than an African Woman. (hmm) I would say that she has more than half a milliion dollars worth of just African Art. There was much, much more art from other places as well, But the woman LOVES Africa the most. Even though the night was stressful, I'm glad I got to talk with her and really get to know her, and form my own opinion about her, and not the Theatre and Dance dept.'s opinion. Personally, I think she is amazing, and I wish I would have gotten to know her better.

Now, the party... WHAT A MESS!!! I dont think I have been so scared to say the wrong thing, or drop a tray, or say the wrong thing... in all of my life. As a part of my showcase class, we had to "help" out with the party by bartending, valeting, and serving. I was a server, and let me tell you, WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!! All of the Porthouse patrons are very intimidating, and can be quite rude at times. It's not like I really wanted to be serving them anyway. We were there for the entertainment! I think that what made it so awkward was the fact that I would have to walk up to them and interrupt their conversations to ask if they wanted one of the mini Rubens from my tray. And it wouldnt have been so bad, if they werent so snobby about me asking. And I tried to be really nice and considerate. It amazes me that people can be so uppity. There were some nicer people though. So I tried to gravitate toward them most of the night!

stay tuned..

1 comment:

  1. I would love for you to follow me!

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete